Understanding your Parental Rights as an Unwed Father

Even for men who were previously married to the mother of their kid, obtaining custody can occasionally feel like an incredibly difficult undertaking. In fact, a paternity suit, also known as a SAPCR (suit affecting parent-child relationship), can aid unmarried fathers in securing custody. For instance, your bond with your child may strongly influence the judgment of the courts in your favor (assuming the relationship is a good one, of course). It should be emphasized that a judge takes into account a wide range of criteria while deciding whether to grant parenting time. 

You should also use this opportunity to voice any concerns you may have about the mother of the child’s upbringing. Each of these elements weighs highly on the judge’s parenting decision. Need more information? Get in touch with a divorce lawyer Huntsville, AL.

File a paternity lawsuit:

Although they are not the same thing, you should use your petition to ask for either visitation or custody (or both). In other words, having visitation rights does not equate to having custody. You are effectively requesting access to your child from the court when you file a paternity lawsuit.

What is your best course of action?

So, what should you do? It’s crucial to work with a knowledgeable lawyer if you’re serious about winning custody of your kids. Together with that, you ought to include any supporting documentation you may have. A case that has been opened with child protective services should also be included, just like any reports of neglect or unsuitable behavior. Once you make sure to get a lawyer, be sure to be open and honest with them about any concerns you may have when it comes to the level of care the mother is giving the child.

There are other ways a lawyer can help you. Your lawyer can help you decide which course of action will best serve your objectives and your particular scenario. It may be a good idea to additionally draft a visitation petition in case the custody case is unsuccessful if the mother in question is not found to be unfit or exhibits legitimate parenting concerns.

Final thoughts:

Get in touch with an experienced attorney if you’re trying to win custody or visitation rights for your kids. Following the presentation of your case, the judge will decide whether to grant you custody or visitation. Please be aware that even if you do not get the outcomes you were hoping for, these custody arrangements may still be revised or modified according on your unique circumstances. Keep your hope alive!

About admin

Check Also

Ways to Encourage Good Habits in Children

Ways to Encourage Good Habits in Children

There are many chances when parents can develop good habits in their children. Parents are …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *